Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Working Man Magazine: Exclusive Interview

I recently sat down for an interview with the new CFO of Papa John's:
Reporter: How do you like being CFO of a well-known chain such as Papa John's?

Mr. C: I really enjoy it. There are definitely perks. I get to sit at a computer all day, print out my own paycheck, and I don't have to deal with all the chaos on the front line.

Reporter: I see your attention drawn to the interview on Cox 7 with Miss M. I hear rumors the two of you are spending time together.
Mr. C: Let's keep it business, please.
Reporter: Very well. Um, how long have you been with the company? Did it take you long to climb the corporate ladder?
Mr. C: I've been on the job for approximately two, three hours. But let me tell you sometimes it seems like five, hehe.
Reporter: That's remarkable. You must enjoy it to have stuck with it so long. Any special highlights of your career you'd like to share with us?

Mr. C: Yes, I do love being in charge of all the money, paying the bills, being Big Man on Campus as the saying goes. There was one time I recall that my mother showed up doing some volunteer work for the local community. I gave her scissors and some deposit checks and put her to work. It was great having my Mom work for me for a change. I could get used to that. If the economy keeps tanking out maybe I'll hire her.

Reporter: That brings up the next question I had for you, sir. I know your company received some baillout money.

Mr. C.: Well, yes as a matter of fact we did. Times are hard for everyone.

Reporter: Is it true, Mr. C, that some of that money was given to you and other company execs in outrageous bonuses?

Mr. C: It's not like that at all. I admit that the bonuses seem extraordinary, and may anger the American public but the facts justifiabley remain that...Hang on, let me put on my glasses for a second...Hey! Tech support?...can you get over here? My teleprompter just seemed to malfunction...I can't quite....

Reporter: Mr. C? Come back: we haven't quite finished yet! HEY!

*The above conversation may or may not have taken place. Facts are that yes, Smalls did "apply" and was hired as CFO of Papa John's in JA Biztown in Tempe. All the fifth-graders had their own jobs and worked all day, earning paychecks they got to deposit in the bank and spending their fake bills around town. They could work as news anchors, ticket sales, accountants. Fun field trip! To learn more about JA Biztown link here. It is true that Smalls did make me work for him, and did work through his lunch.

5 comments:

Anna said...

Let's face it. There was always a very high chance of Conner becoming a genius entrepreneur and supporting you guys.

Scott Shirley said...

It's very hard knowing that your 10 year old grandson may be smarter than I am. sigh.... Am I smarter than a sixth grader? Afraid not....

Anonymous said...

hilarious! I loved the interview..and I think the idea is SO COOL! I wish I could have done when I was his age!

Leslie said...

Jenna - awesome post...I LOVE the way you wrote it funny girl!!! Conner was a great CFO and I really thought it was funny that his attention was turned away for a moment during the interview with Ms. M aka my daughter who was the CEO of Wells Fargo Bank and blushed everytime Mr. C came to make a deposit for Papa Johns pizza as she was a working CEO. :o) I too worked for her and as you know got to do what I always do payroll. JA Biztown was AWESOME!! It was fun being there with ya and the ride home was a blast.

Leslie said...

JA BIZ TOWN was awsome . I think that was very cool what you wrote.I did make my mom work and it was fun.