I mean, literally. Just the same.
It's a shrine to the 70's.
I love that my kids get to do all the things in the cabin that I loved doing. Rocking in the orange chairs, playing board games, wading in the "crick" out front, picking vases of wildflowers, and exploring the Big Tree, which got its name from being really, really big.
I wish I knew how old this tree is. It's the only one like it in this quaking aspen forest, sitting mighty like a king with weak little subjects.

Here's a picture I took of my brothers around the Big Tree in what must be 1989ish.
And now, my son stands in front of the tree that never changes next to the cabin that never changes. Despite my taking him to a place where time is frozen, he turned 12 anyway during our stay- too big a change for my liking. He's going to just keep growing and changing and making his mama's quaking aspen leaves shiver in the process.
But I am learning to accept this growing up stuff. I'll deal. As long as he promises to bring his kids to the cabin and take pictures of them around the Big Tree.
From 2010-08-06 |

8 comments:
That is a big tree and an AWESOME cabin. And holy cow, I can't believe Conner is 12. So sorry we missed him passing the sacrament for the first time!
I love family traditions. So important. I had no idea that Island Park had any trees that big! I thought that they were all skinny lodgepole pines. I love big trees.
And the Swaner family still loves hanging out with the Scoresbys! And that never changes either! It was fun (minus the part where I lost my son and cried...a lot)!!!
Hey! I haven't even seen the big tree! Your kids are so lucky! I sure love visiting the 70's and I'm so glad it's part of my family's memories now too.
P.S. I don't like the growing up stuff either. I just decided that a few days ago.
Apparently Brett isn't as enamored with the Big Tree as me. What a schmuck.
A cute, funny schmuck though- I'll grant him that.
I asked him about it last night and he said, "Oh yeah, it's a big tree. Is it gone?" That's how much he cares about the big tree. Sad. He is a schmuck as funny and cute as a schmuck can be!
Jenna, call Allie or Aunt Jan and get the information to send these pictures to Gma's picture frame deal. YOu can post them directly to the website. She would love these.
Ah, that was sweet. I love your tree. It's a good one. I wish time could stand still too. Good luck getting old and gray with the rest of us.
Post a Comment