Sunday, December 26, 2010

And if it's all right with you, Clark, I'd like to get you something REALLY nice.

We had a strict No Tolerance For Nintendo DS Until Age 10 Policy at our house. Until Black Friday came along and made them affordable for almost 7-year-olds. Watching the young recipient's reaction Christmas morning makes me wonder if relenting was wise. Probably not.




In case you missed the dialogue, so typical of families on Christmas morning: Note the jealousy, the gloating, the threatened punishing. Since when did Blake and I get to sounding so parental?

Me: Oh. Ok, R___

Blake: Here, R____ Finish this.

R: A DS! (triumphal marching/gloating)

Dad, feigning suprise: WHAT???

Big Sis: He gets a DS and I don't? That's not cool.

Me commenting on everyone's open mouth and hyena laughing (what is that? I blame the high pitch on the accoustics of our open floor plan.)

Big Bro: Holy Crap, R____

Big Sis: He's not even ten years old yet.

R: I don't care!

Me: Maybe he needs to just put it in the closet until he's ten. Hey, why'd you just drop it and kick it? Excuse me!

Dad: Don't step on it! You better treat that nice or we won't give it back to you!

Me: Maybe he shouldn't have it until he's ten.

End Scene.

Of course we didn't take it away and of course he played it all Christmas day, despite being three years shy of what policy allows. And of course he's not responsible for such an expensive toy at his age.

But, you know. That's the fun of being parental. We have the rights to make policies and then change them at a whim. It was Christmas for heaven's sake.

4 comments:

Jeni said...

What a great video!! Ethan's reaction to his wasn't as fun but like R he didn't put it down all day! Oh wait! He has barely put it down since then! Good thing he's got a lot to keep him busy the next couple days!!!

Mrs. Olsen said...

okay hearing high school dudes with parental voices is weird and hilarious. Merry Christmas!

Kristel said...

I especially appreciated the captioned script :) Thanks!

Sara said...

Kaleb just asked for one today. He pulled out my phone, flipped it to the keyboard and said, Mom... I want to play video games on this. Can you get me one of those please? 5 years old and less than 2 weeks after Christmas.....help me!