So our van broke down...again. It shouldn't surprise me. This thing has been a lemon since the day we bought it. After a month of ownership, as we were moving to Las Vegas, the van broke down just outside Mesquite, Nevada with a broken timing belt (mid-summer I might add). Now six years later it was in the shop needing a new alternator. It was in the shop just two weeks ago getting a new cooling fan and belt. Well, I took it to Fletcher's and they quoted me $889!! So I had them break it down for me - such and such for labor, new serpentine belt, new air filter, cleaning out the air intake, parts, diagnostic fee, and on and on. Why don't you throw in a Johnson rod for good measure? And diagnostic fee?! I told you it needed a new alternator when I brought it in! Well, I finally got them to a final number for just the alternator - $534!! I was still in shock. They quoted that the new alternator alone was $408. I looked online at Checker Auto Parts and found my part for $160. So that was a bunch of bunk. They said that's how much it cost from their supplier and they don't put in outside parts. Well, they just priced themselves out of my patronage.
So there was enough juice left in the battery to get it home and there it sat in the garage all weekend. I was resolved that the only way it was going to get fixed was if I did it myself, except I know nothing about cars, but I figured I could find someone who knew a bit and together we'd get it fixed. But luckily it didn't come to that. Our home teacher gave us the number of a mechanic that he'd used in the past a couple of times and said he felt like the pricing was fair. So here comes Gonzo to save the day! He's a nice latino mechanic and I never even noticed his two door garage shop just a couple miles from our home. Cost for parts and labor - $281.
I was able to snap a picture of the repair in progress. Camilla the chicken had to be posing down in front for the shot - that's so like her.
9 comments:
WOW! I hope so! Dont you just hate freakin car repairs!
Is Gonzo some sort of new racial slur that I'm unaware of?
I'm happy you saved money!
No!! His real name is Gonzo and he's awesome (that he saved me so much money).
I've probably been ripped off on all my car repairs...
Blake you are so smart to check into it. Car repairs are a rip off!
PS I love Gonzo & the chickens! Ha ha ha. Brings back memories of watching the Muppet Show after school.
Shouldn't it? Uh...guys? I HATE CAR REPAIRS! Kristel's car was recently in the shop...again. But this time I actually called around and got quotes from several different companies. Still came to over $600 but got our broken window fixed, broken door lock fixed, and engine worked on and repaired. If I would've taken it to my usual place it probably would've cost double.
Hey, so is it the little place across from the Mexican restaurant?? I need to have my car serviced, but don't want to drive into town (which is what I usually do). Maybe I'll give Gonzo a call!! hee hee At first I was thinking wow, Gonzo plays baseball and works on cars!?
Yeah, Sandy, call him. He is across from Tacos and More and is totally reasonable and a super nice guy. I think his shop is called VIP Auto.
I told you not to buy it...
Post a Comment