I didn't wear a stitch of makeup because grunge was cool. I wore boys' jeans two sizes too big for the same reason.
The concert smelled like pot and the only lights in the audience were from cigarette lighters. Everyone in the audience was born in the 70s like me.
I liked this concert. I rocked out and had fun and didn't realize how much I took having fun for granted. But I had a burning desire to go to another one. I thought it would be totally rad to see U2 in concert one day. One. Beautiful Day.
So finally, fifteen years later, sporting sprouty gray hairs and child-bearing hips, I got to fulfill my dream. After my much-adored sister-in-law informed me that U2 was coming to my city and that I deserved to go I told Blake about it. He wasn't thrilled. I decided to go with or without him and recruited some besties to come with me.
It was a different experience entirely. I didn't have to leave the state to see this one although it was still a longish drive in side streets and the alleyway... I was with some of my favorite angel people, and I didn't have to drive (thanks, Sandy!) so I could just relax and be stuck in the moment. Sandy made these gift bags for us, complete with water bottles, snacks, and ear plugs.
Instead of going nakedface like I had at Depeche Mode I decided to get my eyebrows waxed and my makeup done for me for the first time ever. Brown eyeliner and mascara is the best I have ever come up with on my own. I needed help. I think I found the eye shadow I've been looking for.
(I had to take a picture so I can remember how my eyebrows are supposed to be shaped.)
My jeans fit me this time and were purchased in the women's department.
The concert smelled like pot like before. Again everyone in the audience had been born in the 70s. The lights that twinkled in the audience this time, though, were from cell phones. At the end Bono turned off the stage lights and requested that we shine those cell phone lights like a Milky Way galaxy and he serenaded us all from his spaceship. In this dreamlike surrounding I thought about the granola me that had gone to the Depeche Mode concert fifteen years ago- that she is still inside me craving fun like this, needing fun like this.
It was a bucket list moment. I'd have gone crazy if I wouldn't have gone tonight. I needed this bad! Sandy, Sara, Alisha: I'll remember this beautiful day forever.
(More pictures to come.)
10 comments:
If I could have afforded the tickets, I wanted to take Rich to the one in Vegas this weekend...
so this is BEFORE you got your eyebrows done? :)
here is what I wrote in the post below...tee hee hee
i've been to one concert....DONNY OSMOND! it was a few years back, and all the audience was born in the 50's! We went with David's parents...it was funny to watch all these older ladies so excited and jamming to the music that...sigh...Donny performed. It was just about as fun as any U2 concert...I would imagine! the place didn't smell like pot though...more like some type of medical ointment!
Woot woo hottie! You look amazing. I want to see more pictures!
Your make up looks purdy! Love it.
And I think I'm going to post on this topic later, since you got me thinking. Thanks!
But, 'Beautiful Day' was my favorite song for a looonng time, but 'Vertigo' replaced it. It is the best song to go running to EVER! Sure wish I could have been amongst you and your besties on this awesome night!
I'm just sa' proud of you! I'd love to pat you on the back for all the song references.
But, I did check the set list again and you must have liked Magnificent (the third song - number 2 on No Line on the Horizon). If you don't like it, I'm not sure we can be friends. Sisters yes, but friends...not so sure.
Oh, and not everyone in the audience was born in the 70s. Just those with seats. The young kids have the stamina to wait 10 hours to get close to the stage.
LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT! HAPPY TO SHARE IT WITH U2!!!
Wow. I am seriously jealous. I like your new makeup...you're eyes are GORGEOUS. And I totally understand how weird and the same you feel no matter how old you get.
BTW, Bono was THE VERY FIRST person that I kissed in my dreams. He took me out on a motorcycle, then kissed me and took off his shirt between kisses. I don't think I had ever kissed a boy when that happened. I wasn't sure if I needed to go talk to the bishop the next day. Ha!
i wanted to gooooooo!! dont go without me again. but i can TOTALLY picture the galaxy cell phone part. but if i were there, i would need a cell phone.
Depeche Mode was the reason that High School was a bit depressing for me. I listened to depressed people sing (i.e The Smiths).
However, U2 is AWESOME! I love them, and they are about the only concert I would pay to go. You definitely deserve U2.
And...how do you get your teeth so white?
Makeup looks great Jenna. Sounds like a great time. You deserve it! I'm one of those weird people who don't care for U2, so good thing you didn't need me to go.
Post a Comment