
The mountainsides of my Motherland are blasting news of Fall in a cacophony (love that word) of beatnik colors and crispy leaf crunches. I miss Idaho in the fall. And Utah. I would happily return to Utah (my home for four years), something I've never admitted out loud, if it was always Autumn there.
But I live in what is called a desert biome, a stubborn stretch of land that refuses to relent to the seasonal changes that the rest of the country finds pleasurable. Leaves hold tight to their branches through Christmas, only giving up in "Spring" when new juvenile ones push them off. Cacti give the perpetual finger to temperature change, refusing to acknowledge it in any way.
While it's definitely not as obvious as in my beloved Tetons and Uintas, I am determined to find fall this year. I find it, a little bit. A week ago I woke up and noticed my thermostat read 78. I immediately cursed myself- I must have inadvertently turned it down? It's always set at 80 to avoid another $414 power bill. Then it hit me. My house cooled down all by itself! First time since April. Fall is here.
My tap water has recently become a shade cooler than lukewarm. Even in January it won't be as cold as the mountaintapped Idaho water, but it's cooler. Another week or so and I can switch the clothes washer to "warm" when I do a load. I have washed everything in "cold" all summer, since the only cold it can muster is warmer than room temp.
Another fun fall signal: my kids want hot chocolate in the mornings. After waking up to 80 degrees all summer apparently 76 is brisk. Need a steamy hot drink before braving the low 70's outside the front door. My kids aren't the only ones thinking it's cold outside. In my morning jaunt I see people in jackets.
C'mon, wussies. People in Idaho lay out when it's this warm.
The wussy jackets are irrefutable proof. Fall has seeped into Maricopa.
Next thing you know I'll actually wear socks.
14 comments:
I'm still a little worried how Christmas will be this year! I'm so used to snow and cold that it should be interesting!! I'm loving the cool weather in the mornings and LOVE that my kids can play outside all day!!!
And I'm just so happy that the SNOW that has been in my yard since Sunday, decided to give it up and go away (hopefully at least until November). The grass is green again...the way it should be right now! Although I gotta say, I love those hot chocolate mornings!
I'm with you! I totally noticed the other day that I had to wait for the water to warm up before I got in the shower! And today, at 3:45 in the afternoon, my therm sits firmly at 78. The AC hasn't kicked on once today! Wahooo!!
Are you a poet?.....HUGE vocab...never heard you talk so....oh, gosh what's the word? Mom, you should know this.
I thought Florida was the Sunshine State.
Thanks for pointing out the flaws in this post, Mike. Next time I won't rely on Conner for verification.
Wow, Jenna...such a vocabulary. I'm impressed! We have the same kind of "fall" experience here. I was just telling my nieghbor that I wear flip-flops all winter long. Well, except for the week we visit Utah for Christmas!
I couldn't have said it better myself!!!
i dont even know what some of those words mean. last year my mom wore these thick socks and wore those every morning. i wake up, shes wearing them. i wish it would snow here too.
Wussies? You're the first to complain about the cold in Idaho when you are there. Ha!
brrrrrrrrr. I've been so cold here! I wish I was in 78 degree weather! I've been wanting a fireplace and hottub for a week now.
I'm sad for you. I just got back from New England and my autumn-meter overloaded with happiness.
P.S. My parents just said today: Did you know in Maricopa, AZ you can buy a practically new 3 bedroom house for $60,000? She was espousing retirement dreams...
And did I just hear that the Maricopa Jail houses inmates in tents while feeding them for less than a buck a day?
Where is this strange land where you reside?
Jenna, loved this post! You have perfectly captured my own past sentiments, and I'm wishing I'd have recorded it at the time. I remember thinking, "Cinnamon Yankee candles? I'm still smelling pina colada!" and "What I wouldn't give to find a pool floatie among all these sweaters" at the store. LOVE the cactus picture. Great colors. Em
Post a Comment